November 16, 2015 - November 20, 2015
The next service learning activity of the year is assisting our parish St. Vincent de Paul Society in preparing holiday food baskets for the needy of our community. Through classroom discussions and help from the Student Leadership Team, our students will have the opportunity to understand this service project within the larger context of Catholic social justice teachings. We also encourage students to spend some of their own allowance or spending money to purchase food items.
Our goal is to provide as many complete Thanksgiving Day baskets as possible for families. Therefore, we are requesting non-perishable items from the following list, arranged by classes:
- TK and Kindergarten: instant mashed potatoes and stuffing mix
- First Grade: cranberry sauce and other canned fruits
- Second Grade: canned fruits and vegetables
- Third Grade: gravy mix and pumpkin pie filling
- Fourth Grade: corn bread mix and canned tuna
- Fifth Grade: muffin and holiday bread mixes
- Sixth Grade: cooking oil or salad dressing
- Seventh Grade: Jello and pudding mixes
- Eighth Grade: packages of rice, spaghetti, or noodles
In anticipation of a large number of food items, students should bring these to their homerooms instead of Friday’s flag salute.